Safely Handling Fluorescent
Fluorescents are made of glass and can sometimes break. If this happens below is a guide for safely cleaning and disposing of the remnants.
Seven Steps for the Safe Handling of Broken Fluorescents
- Clear the area for 10-15 minutes, opening windows and doors where possible, this time allows the vapour form inside the fluorescent can disperse.
- Wash your face and hands immediately.
- Gather your cleaning equipment: disposable gloves, dust mask, tape paper towels and sealable bag.
- Gather up the glass and place it into the sealable bag using the tape to pick up any small pieces.
- Clean the area where the break occurred using a damp paper towel. DO NOT VACUUM.
- Place the used tape and paper towel in the sealable bag with the glass.
- Dispose of the sealed bag gloves and mask into the garbage.